Have you ever said, “If someone could just bring it all to me...the bed, the soil, and a book telling me everything I didn’t know, I would garden.” Well, we heard you. And we will! Because we think the world would be a much better place with more gardeners in it, and we want you to be one of them.
This kit includes:
- Your raised bed in fir or cedar (you pick!)
- Assembled wherever you tell us
- Enough bags of our proprietary "Thriller Bed Filler" soil to fill the bed (all you have to is open the bags and put it in)
- A copy of Fearless Food Gardening in Chicagoland so you can plan your garden
The primary differences between fir and cedar are longevity and appearance. All wood ages and turns a greyish/silver color.
- Rot resistant, it can last 10-15 years as an attractive raised bed. It is also insect resistant because of oils in the wood - this is why it smells so good.
- More expensive than fir but worth it if you're putting in a raised bed garden you want to last a long time and continue to look great over many years.
- The cedar we use for your raised bed is "rough sawn" or "hewn" and has a textured appearance. Because of this texture, it is harder to stain than fir. Keep that in mind if you want your raised beds to match your house. And, if you do want to stain your raised bed, please use a nontoxic stain.
- More susceptible to rot and insects, it can last 5-7 years.
- It can also warp or bow over time.
- The best reason to choose fir is if you want to give raised bed gardening a try and don't want to invest in the expense of cedar.
Whichever you choose, you should know that we only use untreated wood for raised beds - including the corners. While the lumber industry has gotten better in the past decade about not using toxic chemicals to treat wood, it's still not great. So fir or cedar, untreated wood is still best.
We only ship Great Grow Along kits within a 15 mile radius of Chicago. To see if you're in that radius, click HERE.
Pick a delivery date:
- During the checkout process you will be asked to pick a delivery date anytime after March 1.
- Within a week, our delivery partners, will contact you via phone to discuss delivery details. You can change the delivery date at that time if needed. We know schedules change and we want this to be as painless and convenient as possible!
- Expect your copy of Fearless Food Gardening in Chicagoland to arrive via UPS within a week of placing your order so you can start planning your garden ASAP!
On the day of your delivery:
- The driver will arrive at your residence at your designated time, assemble the bed and place it in the dreamy garden spot you’ve chosen.
- Please have the area cleared ahead of time so it is ready for the driver to place it.
- The driver will have enough bags of our our proprietary "Thriller Bed Filler" soil to fill your bed and will put them where it’s most convenient for you.
- You can then open them and fill the bed at your convenience.
- The whole process should take 30 minutes!
Guilt-free convenience. Is there anything better? Keeping it convenient while doing good work in the world is what we’re all about. Removing gardening barriers and creating gardening good will. Because (yes, we’re going to say it again) United We Blossom!
- We're sourcing the lumber for your beds from a local family-owned company with partners that have good forestry management practices that we've reviewed and approved.
- Your raised bed is prepared (pre-drilled and partially assembled) at our warehouse workshop by at-risk youth that are part of our United We Blossom job training program. This program provides valuable job skills. And your purchase directly helps support that program.
- Proceeds from Fearless Food Gardening in Chicagoland support our "sister" organization, Peterson Garden Project and their mission to "recruit, educate and inspire everyone to grow their own food."
- Our proprietary soil mix "Thriller Bed Filler" is made just for us locally of the best ingredients to help your first gardening season be a productive one. And, while legally we can't say it is organic, we've researched every base ingredient that goes into the mix and how it is sourced.