The Fraser Fir may be the perfect holiday tree. It's attractive 1" needles are silvery-green and soft to the touch. Because there is space between the branches, the Fraser is easier to decorate than some trees. The firm branches hold heavier ornaments. The trees grow to almost perfect shapes, and as long as the cut tree is kept properly watered, the Frasier Fir has excellent needle retention.
The Fraser fir branches turn slightly upward. They have good form and needle-retention. They are dark blue-green in color. They have a pleasant scent, and excellent shipping characteristics as well.
In many respects, Fraser fir and balsam fir are quite similar, although the geographic ranges of the two species do not overlap. Some scientists even suggest that because of the many similarities, the two species were once a single species which has since evolved into the present-day forms.
Fraser fir was named for John Fraser (1750-1811), a Scot botanist who explored the southern Appalachian Mountains in the late 18th century. The species is sometimes called Southern balsam or Southern balsam fir. Locally Fraser fir is known as "She balsam" because of the resin filled blisters on the tree's trunk. Red spruce, often associated with Fraser fir, is called "He balsam" and lacks the distinctive blisters.
Fraser fir is a uniformly pyramid-shaped tree which reaches a maximum height of about 80 feet and a diameter of 1-1.5 feet. Strong branches are turned slightly upward which gives the tree a compact appearance.
- City Grange delivers holiday items to curbside only. We do not offer in-house installments at this time.
- Unless we are instructed otherwise, all items will be placed close to your front door.
- While we aim to deliver during the timeframe you've indicated, please note that holiday traffic in Chicago is very busy, and there are circumstances outside of our control that may require the delivery time to change. If that occurs, we will notify you with updates as soon as we possibly can.
- Tipping the driver is optional
- Show up at the store with your electronic receipt
- Follow directions for the special pre-order checkout line
- We'll help you complete your hassle-free transaction